Title page of book
NPS/Andersonville National Historic Site
Written twenty-seven years after the end of the war, this prisoner memoir provides a rare account of a prisoner held at Andersonville during the winter of 1864-65.
The title of the book is derived from the fact that during his imprisonment Smith contracted scurvy, and was confined to a wheelchair for the remainder of his life.
- New York, Hunt & Eaton; Cincinnati, Cranston & Curts
- Published Date:
- Book (non-fiction)
- Grade Levels:
- Fifth Grade-General
- Civil War, Military and Wartime History
- National/State Standards:
- Georgia Performance Standards
High School (United States History) SSUSH9
Middle School (8th Grade GA Studies) SS8H6
Elementary School (5th Grade Social Studies – American History) SS5H1
- Historical & Environmental Education Reading