Cover page of document
NPS/Andersonville National Historic Site
Published in 1866, this report provides a list of the dead at Andersonville, taken from Dorence Atwater's secret copy of the official Confederate records.
Dorence, a prisoner held at Andersonville for eleven months, spent much of his time held at the prison as a paroled prisoner, working in the hospital office as a clerk. It was in this capacity that he made a secret copy of the death register. He and Clara Barton accompanied the Army expedition to Andersonville in the summer of 1865.
- New York, Tribune association
- Published Date:
- Report or Paper
- Grade Levels:
- Fifth Grade-General
- Civil War, History, Military and Wartime History
- National/State Standards:
- This document could be used in support of activities which align to the common core standards for ELA/social studies.
- Historical & Environmental Education Reading