• North HillSide Photomerge

    Andersonville

    National Historic Site Georgia

Lizabeth Turner Monument

TurnerMonument

The Lizabeth A. Turner monument, located in the northwest corner of the prison site.

NPS/D. Tise

The Woman's Relief Corps (WRC) played an integral role in preserving the historic landscape of Andersonville. Also integral to their work was the leadership of Mrs. Lizabeth Ann Turner. Mrs. Turner spent much of the Civil War helping sick and wounded soldiers in Boston, Massachusetts. After the war she turned her efforts to aiding veterans and honoring their sacrifices at places like Andersonville. In 1895, Mrs. Turner was elected National President of the Woman's Relief Corps. During her administration she was an advocate for Andersonville, and also supported sending American flags to the South to ensure that children would love "Old Glory."

On April 27, 1907, Mrs. Turner died while visiting the prison site. Later that year, the Woman's Relief Corps National Convention authorized a monument to be placed in her honor at Andersonville. Designed by the Lloyd Brothers of Toledo, OH and made of Barre granite, the monument was inscribed with the WRC badge and a draped United States flag.

The monument was dedicated on June 27, 1908. At the dedication, Sarah D. Winans, Chairman of the monument committee, said: "No woman in America ever sought more loyally to serve the Grand Army of the Republic and the survivors of the great War of the Rebellion than she whose memory we thus honor. Her place in history and in the hearts of all who knew her is forever secure."


Did You Know?

Prisoner illustration of the dead wagon

When rations were issued, the wagon would enter through the North Gate in the morning. In the evening, the wagon would then take the deceased prisoners from the South Gate and Hospital to the Dead House and eventually to the cemetery.