• North HillSide Photomerge

    Andersonville

    National Historic Site Georgia

Clara Barton Monument

Stone monument featuring a red cross design

The Clara Barton monument features a red cross design.

NPS/Eric Leonard

Clara Barton was instrumental in the successful effort to identify the graves of most of the dead at Andersonville and the establishment of the Andersonville National Cemetery.

This monument is a tribute to these efforts in particular and to her many services to the soldiers in general.

It was created in 1914 under the direction of the Woman's Relief Corps and was dedicated on Memorial Day 30 May 1915. It is located on the prison site near the North Deadline and about 105 feet east of the west wall.

Did You Know?

American flags in front of white headstones

The earliest commemorative service in the National Cemetery was held on Emancipation Day, January 1, 1869. Teachers and students of the Freedman's school, along with the Rev. Dr. Hamilton Pierson held memorial services and superintended the decoration of the the National Cemetery.