Dedicated 1925. About midday on June 2, 1791 an impressive white coach-and-four with the initials "GW" emblazoned on the carriage doors, a baggage wagon, and a group of outriders clad in red and white livery clattered up New Garden Road toward the newly chartered county seat, Martinville. George Washington, Commander-In-Chief of America's forces in the Revolutionary War and first President of the United States had arrived in Martinville on the last leg of an eighty-three-day tour of the southern states. Washington visited many important Revolutionary War battle sites in the South which held great interest for the General because they enabled him to see places that he had known previously only through the reports of his officers. Arriving at Guilford Courthouse on June 2, 1791 the President was guided around the field by a veteran of the battle.
Download 925 KB