Dedicated 1895. Lt. Colonel James Stewart (as spelled on British military documents) of the Brigade of Guards was killed in the fighting on the third line. The monument marks the spot where a sword was found in 1866. The sword was engraved with the coat of arms of the Bllantyre family, connecting it to Stewart. That sword is now missing. The monument is the only one on the battlefield honoring the British army.
Download 90 KB