Adams Crypt at the United First Parish Church
Known as the “Church of the Presidents,” this historic church was built from Quincy granite in 1828 with funds provided by John Adams. Tours of the church include a visit to the Adams Family crypt; the final resting place of Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams, and First Ladies Abigail and Louisa Catherine Adams respectively. Visitors also have the opportunity to view the Adams family memorial tablets, the baptismal record of President John Adams or sit in the pew of President John Quincy Adams. Tours are offered daily between April 19th and November 10th on a walk up basis. Fees apply.
Adams Academy /Quincy Historical Society
The Dorothy Quincy Homestead, A National Historic Landmark, dates to 1686. During the 17th and 18th centuries, this mansion was considered the grandest estate in Quincy. During the pre-revolutionary War era, it was a meeting place for such patriots as Josiah Quincy, John Hancock, and John Adams. It was the childhood home of Dorothy Quincy Hancock, the wife of John Hancock. Today, the Homestead is operated by the Colonial Dames of Massachusetts in conjunction with the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). Public Tours for 2015 will be offered on the following Saturdays between 12:00PM and 4:00PM: June 6, June 20; July 18, August 1, August 15, September 12, and October 3. Groups may request a private tour on a date of their choice by phoning (617)742-3190 or by emailing, email@example.com.
The Abigail Adams Birthplace
The Abigail Adams Historical Society maintains Abigail’s birthplace in tribute to this most distinguished American Woman. The Birthplace, located in Weymouth, Massachusetts, depicts early colonial life. The Society opens the birthplace to the public for tours each summer. Much work and restoration have gone into the preservation of this historic house so that it may be preserved and maintained as a memorial to Weymouth’s most distinguished daughter, Abigail Smith Adams. Located in Weymouth, Massachusetts at the intersection of North and Norton Streets. A small admission fee is charged.
Abigail Adams Cairn
On June 17, 1775, Abigail Adams and her seven year old son John Quincy walked the short distance from their farm to the top of Penn’s Hill, where they observed the smoke and fire of the Battle of Bunker Hill. The cairn, an ancient form of commemoration, was erected by the Daughters of the Revolution in 1896. The cairn’s stones came from private properties and historic sites. During historic preservation work in 2008, a time capsule was discovered. Open dawn to dusk. Please respect that the cairn is situated in a residential neighborhood.