Park Loop Road opening
May 17, 2013: The entire Park Loop Road and all other paved roads in the park open today. All dirt roads in the park, including the Seal Cove Road, will open on June 3.
April 22, 2013: The Precipice, Orange and Black, Valley Cove, and Jordan Cliffs Trails are closed until further notice because of nesting peregrine falcons. All other trails in the park are open, whether accessible from the park or from state roads.
Hulls Cove Visitor Center
May 17, 2013: The visitor center will open on May 19 and will be open 9-5 every day. All park passes are available there. There is an accessible entrance at the back of the building for those who have trouble climbing stairs.
Senator Collins Dedicates New Auditorium at Acadia National Park
Contact: Jim McKenna, 207-288-8733
Today, Senator Susan M. Collins dedicated the John G. Moore Auditorium as part of the Schoodic Education and Research Center (SERC) at Acadia National Park. The newly constructed auditorium is the result of a partnership among the National Park Service, State of Maine, and Department of Defense Office of Economic Adjustment to provide state-of-the-art meeting and teleconferencing at SERC.
The National Park Service acquired the former navy base at Schoodic in 2002, and established SERC to promote the understanding and protection of park resources, and advance related research at the regional, national, and international levels. Senator Collins was instrumental in securing initial funding for SERC through the Department of Defense to convert the former navy commissary to the Moore Auditorium, improve information technology, and establish Acadia Partners for Science and Learning as the National Park Service’s nonprofit partner at SERC. Acadia Partners for Science and Learning supports research and education in the park, and manages lodging, dining, and meeting facilities at SERC. The Moore Auditorium will provide auditorium seating for 125 people and additional meeting rooms for 85 people.
John G. Moore was a Maine native and Wall Street financier who purchased most of the Schoodic Peninsula in the 1890s. He constructed a road to the top of Schoodic Head, which offered spectacular views of the peninsula and nearby islands. Moore died in 1898 shortly after its completion, but the road proved to be extremely popular with local residents who traveled to the peninsula to picnic, pick berries, or enjoy the scenery. Moore’s heirs donated the land at Schoodic to the Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations in memory of John G. Moore to be used as a public park and for other uses, including the “promotion of biological and other scientific research.” The Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations, in turn, donated the former Moore property (2,050 acres) to the National Park Service as part of Acadia National Park in 1929.
Did You Know?
Saint Croix Island International Historic Site is a National Park Service site located within three hours of Acadia. Saint Croix commemorates the first French attempt at a permanent settlement in N. America. Explore the mainland site with an interpretive trail featuring bronze statues and waysides. More...