Principle 3: Dispose of Waste Properly
Pack it in, Pack it out
- Pick up trash wherever you go, even when it’s not yours.
- Watch your micro trash (e.g., twist ties, food crumbs, fruit stickers, etc.).
- Reduce waste before you go. Remove excess packaging, stickers, etc., even for a day hike.
- Use facilities when available.
- When you feel that first sign in your gut, start thinking about where you will go. Practice planned peristalsis.
- Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6-8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp, or trails. A trowel makes this job easier.
- Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products. A double plastic bread bag system works fine.
- Urinate on durable rock, gravel, or forest litter, not plants. Urine burns foliage, and wildlife will dig for salts. Get 200 feet from water, camp, or trails to spread impacts.
- Step on durable surfaces en route to your business.