Lincoln Logs were first produced sometime between 1916 and 1917 by John Lloyd Wright, son of the notable architect Frank Lloyd Wright. They are toys consisting of notched miniature logs, about 1-2 cm in diameter. In addition, a Lincoln Logs set has windows and doors to make the building more realistic. More modern sets also come with figures of humans and animals that match the scale of the building. The logs can easily produce a structure resembling a log cabin, hence the association with President Lincoln who grew up in a log cabin in Kentucky and Indiana.
Records show that the J. L. Wright Company of Chicago, Illinois, obtained a patent for the design on August 31, 1920, and had the Lincoln Logs name registered on August 28, 1923. Building logs of similar designs had been produced by several other toy companies since the Civil War but John L. Wright's version was very successful from the beginning and has remained so to this day.
Did You Know?
The Memorial Building was completed in 1911. Design work on the building started in 1907. President William Howard Taft gave the dedication address on November 9, 1911. He was also a member of the Lincoln Farm Association Board of Trustees.